Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Stay 18 Forever? No thanks.

In my third week of collegiate education, I have come to a bold, perhaps brilliant conclusion.

Being 18 sucks.

I'm not trying to come across as a griping teenager here, I'm just acknowledging the fact that this stage of life, freshman in college in particular, is a set up for awkwardness.

Yes, awkward is the perfect way to describe it.

The same awkwardness that fills the room when your Math professor makes a lame joke, and the girl across the room laughs extra long hoping for 5 points extra credit.

A+ my lady, see me after class.

The same awkwardness that you feel wandering campus wide eyed, carrying your freshman-issued day-planner, tripping over cracks in the sidewalk trying to find room 231 already.

The same awkwarness you feel when you walk into room 231, only to find out this is the class that is required for your major, the only problem is this is the class that you absolutely despise.

It's supposed to be what you like.

It's your major.

You chose this.

But you hate it.

And you're not alone.

The concept of hating what we will supposedly be doing for the rest of our life is depressing, ironic, and awkward.

The kind of awkward that you feel when the alumni from your chosen university walks up to you, gives you an inappropriately forceful squeeze on the shoulder and utters the single most depressing phrase any human being can ever convey.

"Enjoy it, kid. It's the best years of your life."

This is, of course, right after your girlfriend dumps you, you realize you hate your major and the captain of the football team (Oh Pacman...) wants to kick your ass 'cuz you crashed his party and didn't bring enough booze for you and your buddy to play Beer Pong.

These are the best years of my life?

Really?

Living in a stinky dorm room across from kids who call squirrel hunting and Tuesday night drinking a hobby?

(This is my Humanities teacher. Ironic?)

Enduring page after page of tireless textbook studying only to wake up with the words "Biology: Concepts and Connections" pasted on your forehead.

Other than that, college life is like, totally cool. I get to go to bed whenever I want, eat candy for breakfast, and mommy doesn't even make me come in before dark.

These ARE the best years of my life, now escuse me, gummy worms are calling my name.

Good morning, freedom.

1 comment:

Jeremiah Milliron said...

Don't forget doing everything from bed. When you are in a super small room, you don't have to get up from your bed to do anything. It is a dream come true. And you don't have to shower until you want to.