Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lebron James, and the "R-Word."

Alright, I usually don't do this. And when I say "usually" I mean, I NEVER do this. I haven't written about anything serious on this blog, literally, ever.

However, there was a recent event that took place that really "got my blood boiling," and "grinded my gears." This is not because I am a grumpy old man, which I undoubtedly am, but rather, it's an indication of what we deem acceptable and unacceptable in society, and frankly, it makes me want to vomit.


About a month ago, Kobe Bryant used a homophobic slur to express his distaste with an official's call. He called the referee "The F-Word," and I watched on my couch in disgust, as I witnessed my favorite basketball player of all time absolutely lose his mind and offend probably everyone in America simultaneously.

This guy has been hanging from my wall since I was 8. I drew free-hand sketches of him and sent them in to Sports Illustrated For Kids. I named my DOG after him. I grew an AFRO and changed my name to KOBE because of him. Okay I made that last part up.

About three days passed, and he kind of apologized. Then he got fined $100,000, and his kind-of apology turned to a real apology.

Kobe went on to film a public service announcement about how "gay" is not synonymous with "stupid" or "inadequate." Yes, it took him about a week. Yes, he was extremely out of line. But, in the end, he apologized and took a proactive step towards righting his wrong. He cannot be forgiven, but some positive outcome can emerge from his insensitive remarks.

Two weeks ago, Lebron James used the word "retarded" in a press conference. A press conference. You know, the place where there are microphones that pick up everything you say? That place where you are asked idiotic questions over and over again, and you say things like "we gave 100 percent tonight," and "we executed the gameplan, I just have to give all the credit to my teammates."

Yeah, those press conferences.

A reporter asked a STUPID question to Dwyane Wade, postulating that maybe Wade is a dirty player because he committed a foul that lead to Rajon Rondo dislocating his elbow.

To which, Lebron gave his least impressive assist of the season, interjecting, and providing his own idiotic comment:

"That's retarted," he said, under his breath, his mouth covered by his hand.

You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JlOqzxp_w

Okay.

I get it.

That was an imbicilic remark. I do not think that he hates people with developmental disabilities. I do not think Lebron James is an advocate of discrimination. I do not think Lebron James is a bad person, and I know he is really good at dunking and putting that round orange thing through a rim.

It is not the comment itself that is so insensitive--even though it is--it is the fact that he, and most people, fail to understand how offensive it is.

When first offered the opportunity to apologize for his use of "The R-Word," Lebron took it as an opportunity to further criticize the reporter's question.

"I didn’t understand the question," he said.

James went on to add, "It’s definitely blown out of proportion. I don’t think Dwyane is a dirty player."

He went on to justify the use of "The R-Word."

"So it’s the same as me saying, ‘I don’t think that’s a great question,’ or, ‘I think it’s a stupid question.’ Dwyane has never been a dirty player, so I don’t know why someone would even ask him that question.”

Clearly, this is an oversight by Lebron. You cannot justify using the "R-Word" by insisting that "it's just the same as me saying I think it's a stupid question."

That is the problem. Retarted and stupid are not the same thing. And if you operate under this assumption, you are compartmentalizing and offending all people with disabilities.

Evidently, he had a moment of clarity that night, as the next time he faced the press, he opened his conference with an apology.

“First of all, before I answer your questions, I want to apologize for using the ‘R-word’ after Game 3, if I offended anyone, I sincerely apologize.” James said.

Good. Progress. He's shown remorse, and we can follow suit. If it's not okay for Lebron to use that word, it's not okay for anyone to use it.

The problem is, though he apologized, the public response, or lackthereof, shows we have a long way to go.

I really hate to compare discrimination. To say homophobic slurs are more or less offensive than slurs that are insesnsitive to people with disabilities is to make one seem acceptable, while the other is not. I want to be clear--both are unacceptable.

This raises the question, however, if both are unacceptable, shouldn't both be punished? And in the same way?

Kobe Bryant got fined $100,000 for his comments, and rightfully so.

Lebron James didn't get fined.

I'm not asking for Lebron's head. I'm not asking for an extended apology. I'm not asking for a time machine, or a politically-correct sensor to make sure nobody says things to piss people off.

What I'm asking for is awareness, and acceptance. Awareness that the "R-Word" is deeply hurtful, and offensive. Acceptance that it's just as bad as "Insert Slur Here."

Also, I'm looking for some pro-activity. Maybe Lebron doesn't film a public service ad. Maybe he doesn't donate $100,000 to disability awareness programs.

But at the very least, maybe we can all learn from this. Maybe we, as people, can see through this word, see through Lebron's mistake, and take a proactive approach ourself. Lebron need not be scolded. Lebron is not the problem.

If we can admit and acknowledge that the "R-Word" is offensive, and use King James's slip-up as an opportunity to eliminate it from our own vocabulary, we can all take the proactive step. If not, we'll be stuck in the same rut, and people will continue to feel isolated, discriminated, and not accepted by others.

Let's learn from this, you and I, and anyone else who cares to listen. Let's be proactive, let's make a change. If anything, this is a start. Erase the R-word. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an occasional reader I just want to say I really appreciate this entry. My roommate has two severely autistic brothers and it has always been a little jenky for me to figure out how much of a bummer it is for her when I say things like "retarded." I've never really wanted to admit that words like that, being so integral to my everyday vocabulary, can be just as hurtful as racial slurs or homophobic remarks. Living also with a gay couple I would never use terms like the "F-word" (Because A. It gives me the willies and B. it's MESSED up) and for some reason I never connected the dots. So.... thank you!

Anonymous said...

It is very strange how so much emphasis was put on Kobe and not Lebron. I've never been a fan of political correctness for political correctness' sake, so I appreciate this post about respecting what actually can and does offend other people. Though I believe that our intentions deserve much more recognition than the media gives it, what we say ultimately should be what we mean.

Thanks, Dart, for the reminder.

Sean said...

Okay I suck at this blogger comment thing. But I think this is how to do it. Thank you guys so much for reading. I was a little nervous writing about something that didn't have to do with poop or farts, and other hilarious things, but thoughtful comments from people such as YOU GUYS (TARA AND NAOMI) make it worthwhile for me to write. So thank you so much for reading, and I am glad my post was somewhat insightful for you!